Saturday 22 November 2014

Urban Influences: Tutorial


My first tutorial with Lesley was really helpful and constructive. One of the things that was mentioned about my current work was that I hadn't referenced any artists or related my work to any.  I was given plenty of artists/ companies to look at including Dash and Miller, Wallace and Sewell, Annie Albers, Richard Diebenkorn, Wayne Thiebaud and John Hoyland. After referencing the majority of these artists in my sketchbook, the person that stood out the most for me was John Hoyland. I mainly love the colours and compositional blocks within Johns work. In order to move on from my simple fine line drawings and collages, I want to experiment using paint in this style (which is usually a 'no go' for me), however, I feel the composition of my photographs will complement the medium. With these paintings, I hope to start to establish a colour palette, which is something that I haven't thought about too much yet. I imagine the colour selection to be much like the modern architecture I have been looking at, lots of greys and blues and maybe some metallic.





Another suggestion was to start drawing/ painting up some papers to collage with much like the details of the used papers (originally taken from free Manchester music magazines) as another way of pushing my collages forward. The collage above has given me the idea for small flecks of colour within my weaves after being drawn to the bright colour standing out from the plainer shades of blue around it.
 
Lesley also advised me that I need to start thinking about yarns and structures of my forthcoming weaves. I can imagine them to not have much texture and to be very flat, so a mercerised cotton would definitely be better to use rather than a wool in that I get the desired effect. In terms of structure and threading up, I need to refine and consider the kind of pattern and design I want to appear in my weaves. So far, my drawings and collages have all had a very spaced compositional quality, which is something I may want to pick up on.



 


No comments:

Post a Comment