Saturday 22 November 2014

Colour Selection and Design Development

Taken from my previous John Hoyland inspired paintings, I have started to develop my colour palette and done some wrappings to show this. My colours have also been taken from my previous photographs, where I have focused in on the modern architecture materials, specifically metal. All of these yarns are mercerised cottons, which I feel will suit my weaves more than a yarn like wool; I don't want to create much texture. I am currently extremely happy with the way that my colours are developing, and starting to feel more ready to get onto my floor loom for the first time.



After finally deciding on a final colour palette, I started to design develop (onto A3 cartridge paper) by using a mixture of all techniques I have previously used throughout my processes. Small flecks of the sulphur yellow was important within my drawings in order to bring a sense of depth seeing as I've decided on very flat, thin yarns. Here I can start to see some weave designs developing, however I'm unsure how I will be able to translate these when on the floor loom due to never having used one before. Within my group tutorial, these designs got a good reception which makes me confident in my choices.
 




 
 
 
I feel that the triangular collage is one of my most important design developments as it takes me back to the very start of my summer project where The Louvre in Paris was my main inspiration. I enjoy the fact that I have been able to utilise and adapt this back into my work. After collaging this triangular image, the thought of sticking with and developing repeat patterns (just like my previous photographs) is still very prominent. Being able to do this on the loom will take some special planning that I will have to understand before rushing into making my warp.

No comments:

Post a Comment