Sunday 23 November 2014

Dobby Designer: Scotweave

 
'Scotweave' (the design software for the looms) has obviously been an important process in the making and development of my samples, and over the weeks we have been having technical sessions to help us with our skills. These have been led by Lesley and Michelle and have been vital in order for my progression and improvement. Here we learnt many different types of weave and how to programme these according to our own warp plan. One of my favourite techniques was satin and sateen. Here I was able to show the light and dark within my design developments by showing a more warp faced base contrasted with a weft facing base.
 
 
 
 
 
Another of my favourite designs was the triangular repeat pattern. I enjoyed this particularly due to the direct relation between my designs and the way that my weave looked. I had some trouble with my peg plan to start off with in that I couldn't get my sample to form the triangles. This was soon rectified when I realised that I needed more structure to the design by putting a row of plain weave around each of the small triangles. This was an important trial in helping me to understand that eventhough the design looks the same as your drawings on the computer software, it may not always come out the way you expected/ work unless there is some structure.
 
 
 
 
Sampling everyday and trailing my designs has really helped me to understand and develop my skills. The more practice I have, the better I am becoming.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment