Sunday 23 November 2014

Evaluation


This brief was called ‘Urban Influences’. Overall I feel that this project has been a great success; I have learnt and developed new skills both technically and physically and believe that my work reflects the brief given perfectly. This project has enabled me to work on the floor looms for the first time, programming in my designs and ending up with a final sample that looks much more professional to last years. I have maintained structure in my working pattern, whilst also experimenting with new techniques and without deviating from my concept.
My original idea was to take inspiration from the urban environment, specifically looking at repeat patterns within architecture. My initial starting point stemmed from my summer work where I’d combined two abroad trips (Barcelona; Park Guell and Paris; The Louvre). I progressed by creating some simple collages to reflect the architecture in both of these places, which just so happened to be repeat and recurring shapes. Over my design development processes, I have experimented and stepped out of my comfort zone by using methods that I wouldn’t usually consider using (refer to design development blog posts). In reflection of my last tutorial, I feel I could have pushed my skills more to create a finer amount of initial drawings, instead of heading straight into collaging (which I took straight from my summer work).
My final samples demonstrate refinement and correction and prove that I can interpret my drawings and apply them specifically to Scotweave, ready for my loom. I am very happy with the aesthetics of my samples, and feel that my designs really reflect my style of working; which is extremely linear, structured, and controlled with the use of colour to make them ‘pop’! An example of this would be when I re-developed my plain weave striped sample, by addressing the fact that my brighter colour (sulphur yellow) was muted by my warp colour. I corrected this by changing my peg plan so that the positive colour would be in a sateen.
 
 
In terms of context, I see my work in modern interiors, specifically soft furnishings and upholstery, much like the work of Eleanor Pritchard (refer to contextual blog post). I can see myself designing, making and upholstering retro pieces of furniture, which will support and reflect my designs. Here I have utilised my Photoshop skills (taught in creative suite sessions), to visualise where I see my work.
 

 

 
 
I feel that my final samples could suit all kinds of people in the variety of styles that I have. I specifically would like to look at an audience of those interested in modernising, revamping and refurbishing retro furniture, but also those who plan to insert colour into a subtle interior. I feel that my work could fit nicely into a company like John Lewis interiors.
In completion of this project, I have grown in confidence in terms of using different materials for design development, increased my Photoshop skills, learnt new skills in using a floor loom and am on the way to mastering the software ‘Scotweave’. I believe that the amount of samples I have achieved is a sufficient amount for the time that we were given on the looms, and believe they reflect my journey of design developing from start to finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment