Saturday 22 November 2014

Contextual: Eleanor Pritchard

 
Eleanor Pritchard is a textile designer specifically for the weave industry. Eleanor's work is a playground of colour and geometric, linear pattern that I was instantly drawn to. Using traditional weaving techniques, the pieces are woven on 'dobcross' shuttle looms in a small mill in Wales, working in partnership with the small design and sampling studio in London.  The simplicity of the design is my favourite attribute and I believe this may be down to scale and sizing of the repeat. The texture of the woven pieces is very flat, but still manages to uphold depth within the shape and pattern.
 
 
 

 
 
 
Eleanor works only in interior furnishings, mainly throws, cushions and upholstery which is the industry that I see myself in. However, I specifically feel that the designs come to life  the most once upholstered onto pieces of furniture, just like this retro 70s chair. I am currently visualising my own designs in a similar context and would like to look more into 'modern retro.'

 
In terms of starting to consider warp plans and technical decisions, I'm certain that block threading (just like Pritchard) will suit my current designs, with conformed structure and repeat.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment