Saturday 22 November 2014

Summer Project: Paris


A giant proportion of my inspiration for the second half of my summer project came from a short holiday in Paris, France. I was in awe of the buildings and found that a considerable amount of the modern architecture was based around geometrical pattern (for example, The Eiffel Tower and The Louvre), a running theme in my project sketchbook.





 
Using Parisian architecture as a stimulus to proceed, I started to draw some fine line drawings of structures that I found within my photographs. These drawings mapped the construction of the building (specifically The Louvre) by breaking down the lines and depth and concentrated on the shape and form created within the negative space. I plan on using these drawings as a starting point to my first project.

 
 
 
 

 
Moving on from this, I continued to look at some of the other work of the Architect Leoh Ming Pei who designed The Louvre. Mihoko Koyama (who the Miho museum is named after), the heiress to the Toyobo textile business and one of the wealthiest women in Japan envisioned the museum. The Miho Museum is located southeast Kyoto in Japan, and has a similar structure style to that of the Louvre. The museum was the he Miho Museum houses Mihoko Koyama's private collection of Asian and Western antiques bought on the world market. In terms of aesthetics, I can only imagine how much this building must compliment the object that stand within it. Again, interlocking triangles is a continual theme in Leoh’s work, and also something that I’m very interested in considering for my next project.


The Miho Museum

No comments:

Post a Comment