Saturday 22 November 2014

Contextual Reference: John Hoyland


In my last tutorial, Lesley said to take a look at John Hoyland (a leading British artist in abstract painting) as she thought it may be beneficial to my work in terms of compositional blocks of colour and helping me to move on from collage and develop my skills in other art mediums. I love John Hoyland due to the  contrasting colours and layers (specifically being able to see the colours slightly appearing through underneath). I particularly enjoy the amount of negative space surrounding the focal layers.




 
John Hoyland


I worked on my own paintings in an abstract manner, taking shapes my initial photographs in my sketchbook. Johns work relates considerably. I feel that doing this has helped me to consider other options and ways of working. Improving my skills and experimenting with paint has also made me more confident to continue to use it within my visual research development stages. Just as suggested in my last tutorial, I have also started to draw up some patterns taking inspiration from my 'found' collaged papers,(refer to sketchbook.




 
From this, I plan on continuing to use paint within my development drawings, and to continue experimenting with composition. I would also like to start considering a colour palette from these paintings as I particularly love the splashes of sulphur yellow (refer to previous posts' collage), and feel it is complimented well by the surrounding subtle greys, blues and white.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment