Sunday 17 May 2015

Unit X: My Samples

The weave samples for this project were a very important aspect for me coming from textiles. As shown in the previous post, I've taken inspiration from denim garments of Jen Kao and Boro with their hand finished edge. The idea of creating my own denim came from the second stand that we did in polaroids, where we chose relatable garments to our narrative. This contained a lot of denim, whether this was in jeans, dungarees or jacket form. This was far from my comfort zone, and the work that I would usually produce in other projects, which made it fun and exciting.
 
Working in colours from our refined palette, I started to produce some samples that depicted qualities similar to my embroidery samples, predominantly shown through the colours. These initial samples were very time consuming, inlaying separate yarns from the back on every change of shaft on the loom. I did these samples with coloured patches for jeans and jackets in mind.
 
 
 
 
 
 
My second set of samples replicate the textures of the rainforest, so the plants and the rivers. These samples were also very time consuming when adding separate strands into each section.  My favourite part of these samples was how I could turn them into two samples when examining the back of them. I could potentially use these for jeans, shorts, jackets, all in ones, as well as extracting details (such as the sample below) for jumpers and shirts. If I'd have had more time, I'd have liked to create a larger, more varied collection.
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment