Tuesday 19 May 2015

Unit X: Developing Designs

Developing designs did not come easy to me as this is my first time ever illustrating for a fashion project. I started my drawings by working from the first stand workshop that we did, which included key garments such as cargo shorts and climbing wear. This enabled me to start to get to grips with fashion illustration, and the style I wanted to achieve. The stand drawings helped me significantly as a starting point for my work.
 
 
 
Collaging on the other hand, did not work so well for me personally. I felt that this was way too abstract for my style of working (which is very neat and precise), and I definitely struggled to gain garment drawings out of them also. This helped me to move forward in realising the way in which I work best. Whilst collaging however, it did enable me to figure out key garments that I may want to use in my personal final collection.
 
 
 
 
As a small extra, I also started to explore the idea of using the climbing equipment as accessories or jewellery. This was unsuccessful in terms of development and felt it looked unnecessary and almost tacky.
 
 
 
 
If I'd have had more time, I'd have definitely taken my development to greater lengths. I'd have liked to do have done many more experimental drawings, collages and hopefully found my style of working. The easiest way I found to work efficiently, came from tracings I made of key garments I'd selected on 'Mr Porter'. From the tracing, I then managed to explore the shapes by tracing over then and adapting them to fit our theme more sufficiently. These also doubled s beautiful technical drawings, which will come in handy when putting together my portfolio and designs. 
 
 



 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment