Friday 2 January 2015

Live Brief: Choosing a 'Painting'

 
Initially I struggled to find a painting that I liked enough to use throughout the entire period of the Live Brief. I resolved this by emailing Lesley and enquiring as to whether I could interpret a painting as any piece of art, specifically a collage, (to which the answer was yes). After narrowing down many of my favourite artists, these are a select few that I'm considering to use.

 
Eugenia Loli
 
 

 
 
Eugenia is a Greek collage artist that now works in California. She experiments with visual narrative through a collection of images. I like the range of colours and often the underlying message within Loli's work. This may be something quite interesting to experiment with the theme of one of Loli's pieces as an underlying topic to my own project.


 
Richard Hamilton
 

 

Richard Hamilton is a 1950/ 60s collage artist. I enjoy Hamilton as an artist because his works are all memorable classics. I love the techniques that Hamilton uses within his work, and I'd definitely like to consider using a lot of collage within my work.
 

 
 
Storm Thorgerson
 



Storm Thorgerson was an English Graphic Designer, well known for his work of album covers (Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath and Biffy Clyro to name just a few). Thorgerson liked to temper with reality, where a lot of his work would start with photography. Maybe Thorgersons' work wouldn't be so great to work from due to a limited colour palette.
 
 
 Atelier Bingo

 
 
I only came across Atelier Bingo (Max and Adele from Paris), when I was searching through and making a Pinterest board for this project. They make contemporary collages and screen prints with a vast array of colours. I feel that their work would be perfect due to the sheer amount of colours, but also to take inspiration from the techniques that they use. 

 
Kenzo Advertisements
 

 
The Kenzo Advertisements came to my attention on Pinterest when in search of block colour pieces of art. I love these adverts due to their colour clashes and quirky themes. I feel that these would be interesting to translate into my own design development in terms of blocks of pattern.
 
 
Matisse

 
Henri Matisse is a French artist known for his use of colour. These specific pieces are a cut- out collages. In terms of colour (a very important aspect of this live brief), Matisse only tends to use a select few within his works. This may be very limiting to take inspiration from for my weaves; however, I may want to take inspiration from his processes.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment